The Sun-Sentinel, a once-weekly newspaper located in Charleston, Tallahatchie County, Mississippi, has a rich tradition of service.
History records that Tallahatchie County newspapers have operated under many names through the years. The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., lists The Tallahatchie News as the earliest recorded newspaper in the county, beginning in 1856. Others have included The Charleston News, The Democratic Herald, The Tallahatchian, The Tallahatchie Herald, The Tallahatchie Messenger and The Tallahatchie Sun.
More recently, The Mississippi Sun was printed in Charleston and The Sumner Sentinel was published in Sumner, those cities being the two county seats of Tallahatchie County. In June 1973, these newspapers merged and for a few years operated under the name The Mississippi Sun and The Sumner Sentinel. In 1975, John O. Emmerich Jr., owner and publisher of several newspapers in Mississippi including The Greenwood Commonwealth, acquired ownership and unveiled The Charleston Sun-Sentinel, which remains the official title to this day.
The names may have varied through time, but the focus remains on local news.
The Sun-Sentinel is the only newspaper in the world dedicated primarily to Tallahatchie County.
Local news is the heart and soul of our publication, and we strive to work alongside the people of Tallahatchie County to bring readers of The Sun-Sentinel, both near and far, information that matters to them.
A newspaper is a joint venture between the staff and the community, and we value that relationship. As always, we ask for the input of readers and advertisers to make the newspaper, encompassing the print edition, the Facebook page and this website, better and more relevant to everyone we seek to serve.
Feel free to contact us with any comments and suggestions.
Clay McFerrin, Editor and Publisher
16 South Court Square • Charleston, MS 38921
(662) 647-8462 tel • (662) 647-3830 fax